Visa & Residence Permit

Touristic Entry (E-Visa/stamp)
All students are required to bring passports to provide proof of identity once you for applying for the Student Residence Permit and other bureaucratic matters. If your citizenship allows you to enter as a tourist, we recommend you enter with an E-Visa/ stamp. Students are allowed to complete their registration on a tourist visa. All students must enter Turkiye with a valid passport!

Erasmus+ Trainees and Reseachers
If you are coming to our university as an Erasmus+ Trainee or Researcher, you must to obtain an Internship or Researcher class visa at the Turkish consulate or embassy from your home country. Check the web site of the embassy in your country for details on the required documents.

Passports should be valid at least six months longer than the expiry date of the requested visa. The term "official passports" covers diplomatic, service, special and official passports. Regardless of the visa regime applied towards the citizens of a country, the travel document holders of that country need to obtain visa from Turkish missions beforehand.

If you have a valid visa, you do not need a residence permit up to 90 days. On the other hand, foreigners who shall reside, work or study in Turkey, should register themselves at the nearest local police department upon their arrival in Turkey, regardless of the validity of their visa.

As of April 17, 2013, electronic visa (e-Visa) replaces “sticker visa” which was issued at the border crossings. Applicants just need to log on to, provide the requested information, (after the application is approved) make online payment and download their e-Visa. Please note that e-visa is only valid when the purpose of travel is tourism or commerce. Other purposes, such as work and study, require regular visa given by Embassies or Consulates.

For more visa information, please visit Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ official website:

For more information regarding residence permit, please visit Turkish National Police’s official website:

Please remember that your university may help you all the way during your residence permit procedure.

International students
After you have entered the Republic of Turkey on a student visa, tourist visa, or e-visa, if you are planning to stay more than 90 days, you must obtain a Residence Permit from the Republic of Turkey, Ministry of the Interior, Directorate of Migration Management (İçişleri Bakanlığı Göç İdaresi Genel Müdürlüğü)

Please note: The Residence Permit is not issued by RTEU. 

  • Students are responsible for their own legal status while they are in Turkey. All visa matters take place between the student and the Ministry of the Interior, Directorate General of Migration Services.
  • The Office of International Relations at Recep Tayyip Erdoğan University does not keep records of the visa status of enrolled students.
  • Students are also responsible for learning about and assembling the documents required for the Student Residence Permit, as stipulated by the Ministry. 
  • Do not begin any Residence Permit procedures on your own. Students may not begin the application procedures until their official status as students has been verified by the University, after the Add/Drop period.

When to apply for the Student Residence Permit
Your status as a student can be legally verified by the University only after the course registration period has finished. During this time, you are in the country on your student visa/tourist visa/e-visa. (Once you have submitted all of your documents to the Office of Immigration, your data will be entered into the system of the Ministry of the Interior and your legal status in the country is secure until receiving your residence permit card.)

Residence Permit Application Preparation
The Directorate of Migration Management (Göç İdaresi Genel Müdürlüğü) now requires that students submit their application documents in person. When you have collected all of the documents described below, please make an appointment. 

Application for the Student Residence Permit

1. Create an account for yourself with the Ministry of the Interior, Directorate General of Migration Management to fill out, download, and print out your Application Form. ( Please wait until after the registration for classes to begin the residence permit application process.)

2. Assemble the documents required for the Application.

Be very careful not to miss anything as incomplete document packets are not accepted by the Ministry of the Interior. If you have any questions, please stop by our Office.

Documents Required

  1. Printed and signed Application Form.Passport and photocopies of the main page that has your photo and name and passport number, and the page that has the stamp that you received from Immigration when you entered the country. Make sure that the date of entry can be read easily. If you entered the country on an  E-visa, you must provide a copy of the document.

  2. 4 passport-sized photos. Only biometric photos are accepted. 

  3. Health Insurance Policy. 

  4. Document of Residence
    (One of the following documents is considered sufficient.)
    o If you are staying in your own home, a photocopy of the title deed; (“residence document” is sufficient for extension applications.)
    o If you are staying in a rental house on a rental agreement, a notarized copy of your rental agreement;
    o If you are staying at a hotel, etc. proof of your stay in these places;
    o If you are staying in a student dormitory, e-signed/signed and sealed/stamped document showing that you are staying in the dormitory.
    o If you are staying in a third person’s residence, the notarized undertaking of the host(if the host is married, also the notarized undertaking of the spouse)

  5. Student Certificate. 

  6. Income Declaration Document (available from the Office of International Relations)